STUDENT NEWS

This is a new addition to my blog. I'd like to be able to keep up with the activities of my students on my blog, so that it can be edited more quickly and efficiently than on my website. So . . . please let me know what you are up to and I promise it will get published here!

Monday, March 31, 2008

REVELATION OF THE WEEK

Thanks to my wonderful students and their parents asking me questions this week, I have something to share for all of us regarding studying singing.  Sometimes it is hard.  Sometimes it seems like there is no reward in sight.  Sometimes it seems boring or stupid or exhausting.  So I have to ask myself, "Do I have the time, discipline, and willingness to put up with doing what may seem like silly, embarrassing, even impossible things for a while in order to allow my instrument to grow?"  And you know what?  Sometimes I don't.   And that's OK  too.  You can take a break.  If you find yourself resenting every moment of practicing or hating your lessons, take a vacation from them.  If auditions are making you crazy with self-loathing or confusion, find another way to fulfill your creativity by writing or painting or just dancing in your living room.  Your creativity will find a way to express itself if you give it a chance.  And eventually you'll come back to singing if you are meant to.  Just ran into a student I hadn't seen in a long time who did a very creative thing . . . she had a baby!    

2 comments:

Erin Cronican said...

I love this post! It is reassuring to think that we don't have to love this every minute, and yet it can still be the right choice for us. Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie said...

Yes. This is certainly a "hard" life we chose. I wouldn't have it any other way. With the many disappointments, fears, and despair in this business, I can complain with the best of them or simply say happily "I'm living my dream." I still am. And you still are. And anyone who is still singing, acting, painting, writing, etc...We're all living our dreams.

Much love to you, Stephanie