STUDENT NEWS

This is a new addition to my blog. I'd like to be able to keep up with the activities of my students on my blog, so that it can be edited more quickly and efficiently than on my website. So . . . please let me know what you are up to and I promise it will get published here!

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Musings on Independence

This has been a rough week for me, as I've been ill, and my students have been canceling a lot.  Spring Break, "Spring Fever." sudden breakouts of "forgetfulness," auditions and rehearsals for other projects popping up at the last minute, who knows?  Everyone has a legitimate excuse.    It's not easy being a private voice teacher.  I'm frequently last on people's priority list.  But I choose this life because I love the independence that it brings me.  I worked for an institution before and it just wasn't my style.  I hated the bureaucracy, game playing, and loss of freedom that was involved.  But with a private studio comes more personal responsibility for keeping track of the business side, not just the artistic, of being a voice teacher.  Hence, my website and this blog.  I am trying to find new ways to network, to reach out and find new ways to build my contacts, so that when a week like this one happens I can handle it with more serenity than I have in the past.  I'm grateful to any other independent contractors out there who read this who would care to respond.  

1 comment:

Erin Cronican said...

This blog will go a long way in networking- make sure you are addressing issues that most singers in New York are grappling with, and your blog entries will show up in Google searches! (Cool, huh?) I also recommend finding message boards that singers populate, and take a little time to answer the questions that are on there. I have found a few students through that sort of thing already- and these posts also end up in the search engine. It has been an invaluable tool for me. (As well as leaving comments on blogs!)

I completely relate to your student cancellation woes- I had the same thing last week. I started with 12 students in the week, and 5 cancelled! But you are such a wonderful teacher that I know these students are loyal, and will bring you fulfillment (and hopefully referrals) for years to come.

For those of you who don't know Joan yet:

Joan is fantastic! She is an incredibly accomplished teacher, singer and and incredible human being- she knows the mechanics of the voice and the needs of the industry, and can take a singer from hobby to career quicker than you can imagine. You would really do your career, and your soul, a service by having her on your team!